CBHA employee with resident

In this section, CBHA residents can find information on paying rent, housing benefit and debt and arrears advice

In this section, CBHA residents will find information on:

Paying rent

Tenants pay rent for their home, and people buying on the shared ownership scheme pay rent for the part of their home still owned by CBHA.

CBHA uses the money to provide services and help look after homes and estates.

There are a variety of flexible and easy ways to pay your rent.

back to top


Housing benefit

If you are on a low income, you may be entitled to housing benefit. This may cover all of your rent, or only part of it, depending on your income and circumstances.

To claim, you need to complete a form – you can get this from CBHA or Waltham Forest Council housing benefit office. Make sure you complete the form as soon as you can, so you can start receiving payment as soon as possible.

Government guide to housing benefit (goes to government website)

Changes to your housing benefit 

You must tell your local council of any changes in your circumstances that may affect your claim.  Examples would include: family members leaving home or starting work.

Make sure your housing benefit is paid

It is your responsibility to make sure that your housing benefit is paid, so that you do not fall behind with your rent payments. If your payments are delayed or suspended, please call the housing benefit office and keep us informed of your progress. We can help you do this.

Reviewing your claim

If you think that the housing benefit office has made a mistake when assessing your claim, you can ask them to review their decision. If you are still not satisfied, you can ask a Housing Benefit Review Board to look at your case again. 

CBHA's Money Advice team can help you do this, just contact CBHA on 020 7922 8500 or services@cbha.org.uk to discuss your case.

Find out more

For advice on claiming benefits, you can also contact our Money Guidance team or Money Advice team on 020 7922 8500.

You can also find out more about changes to welfare benefits here.

Online benefits adviser (goes to government website)

back to top


Debt and arrears

Missed payments

If you cannot pay your rent for any reason, please call CBHA immediately. The sooner you talk to us, the more help we can offer.

Our main aim is to help you keep your home. Eviction is always a last resort. However, if you do fall into arrears make no attempt to clear the debt, we may take legal action against you and you could lose your home.

If you miss a payment, we will write to you immediately. It is very important that you do not ignore this letter. If you contact us, we can help you come to an arrangement to pay back any overdue rent. We can also help you check that you are receiving all the benefits that you are entitled to.

Legal action

We only consider legal action when all other options have failed. However, if you do not make contact with us, or do not stick to a payment agreement, we will start legal action.  This could result in you losing your home.

There are several stages to legal action and we will work with you at every step to try and avoid eviction:

  1. We will serve you with a notice of seeking possession (NOSP). This is a warning that you could lose your home if you do not keep to an agreement to pay the overdue rent.
  2. If you still do not contact us and make no arrangement to pay the overdue rent, we will ask the court for a possession order. The costs will be added to any money that you owe us.
  3. If the court gives us a possession order, we will usually suspend it if you keep making the payments the court has set.
  4. If you fail to make these payments, we will take action to evict you.

If you do have to go to court, our guide to the court process (Word, 29KB) [on the current CBHA website] explains what you can expect and will help you to prepare for the hearing.

Remember, eviction is always the last resort. We want to work with you to solve any difficulties and help you to keep your home. If you are evicted and you ask your council to re-house you they are likely to decide that you have made yourself intentionally homeless and they will not help you.

For more information and advice contact services@cbha.org.uk

More advice

If you cannot pay your rent for any reason it is very important that you contact CBHA immediately. You should not ignore any letters about your rent. The sooner you talk to us, the more help we can offer.

Our Money Advice team offers confidential advice and can help ensure that you are claiming any benefits - such as housing benefit – that you are entitled to. The team can be contacted on 020 7922 8500.

Other sources of advice include:

back to top